Our History

A little mission Sunday School, organized in 1911, grew to become a church called Melrose Presbyterian Church by 1916.  It later outgrew its location and built a new church building on Peters Creek Road in 1958, changing its name to Westminster Presbyterian Church.  The year 1974 marked a major turning point for the congregation as it left the mainline Southern Presbyterian Church and joined the newly formed Presbyterian Church in America, which better represented its conservative reformed and evangelistic views.

By 2005, the population growth in the city had shifted and most of the new members resided in the rapidly growing south side of Roanoke County. Rather than leave a neighborhood which needed its ministry or the founding members who had served it so long, the congregation decided to plant a new church on the south side of Roanoke, thus giving birth to Christ the King Presbyterian Church in Southwest Roanoke.

Today, Westminster Presbyterian Church remains committed to staying true to the gospel of Grace, reaching our neighborhood and the world with the gospel, and showing Christ’s love through service to our members and neighbors.